Friday 19 February 2010

The nightmare of Lima Cargo City



So Wednesday arrived and instead of a day looking at houses and apartments, I am told to go to a session on form tutoring. Ok, I thought. I will get to know the new tutors, get to know the heads of year and also get to familiarise myself with the needs of what they want a form tutor to do in a foreign school.
However, on arrival I was struck with my worst nigtmare. Groups tasks, role plays and getting to know each other exercises! I am 28 if I want to get to know someone I will shake their hands and introduce myself, and more importantly, if I dont want to get to know someone I have the right to that also.
So, after writing my name on the board, introducing myself, writing out my name badge and then drawing a picture on the borad that best represents me, we got to the nitty gritty of the day - oh sorry I forgot - we didn't get to the nitty gritty- we had an activity to draw out or make a represntation of what makes a perfect form tutor. I am not even kidding.
I think thats enough ranting about that. You get the jist, it went on for another 2 hours and on the plus side, I now 'understand my own limitations as a human being' and know that when I make a comment I do not really understand what I am trying to say - clearly not - as the lady would tell me what I was trying to say, after I had said something very different.
Then It was time to get my boxes from the airport.
5 days late and with storage costs acruing, it was time I get myself sorted and picked them up. So we drove at breakneck speed across Lima to the airport, arriving at 3:35 (the office shut at 3:30). Then Thursday - we leave school at 1:00 but this time we ge lost in Lima, then stop to pick up the drivers friend and arrive at 3:00 (only after rushing past the security guards who are screaming at me "senior, senior, Pare, Pare!). Ignoring the screams and thankfully not being shot at for terrorism threats, I get to the desk at 3:02 (it closed at 3:00).
Friday - another inset morning - and then off to the airport. These school drivers are very handy and very kind to be taking this non spanish speaking gringo over to the other side of the city yet again!. This time we get there for 2, I do not do my terror run through security, we have all the right paper filled in but this time the delay is peruvian beauracracy. One form stamped, to another desk, another form, stamped, then pay, then stamp, then another desk, then into the warehouse (a never ending store of boxes, all strangely knocked, dented or damaged) and I get to see my boxes. Then I have to compile a list (in Spanish) with the help of an old lady, of everything that is in the boxes. A lot of miming later, my boxes are checked (the mimes would have won any game of chirades) and I am given the go ahead. Not the go ahead to get the boxes, but the go ahead to pay the storage costs. Then we go back to the car, go to the driver entrance, then get stopped as we have the wrong pass. So we go into the building again, change passes and FINALLY get the boxes into the van.
Many thanks must go to Javier and Pedro for all their help and my ordeal is over.
adios

No comments:

Post a Comment

please let me know what you think of the post.

Thanks