Saturday 20 February 2010

Peru v Holland



So after the nightmare that had been the box pickup. What more could possibly go wrong on Wednesday. Well, on the way back from Alan's house (a really nice man who lives with his wife Pat and he is Head of Chemistry) my flip flop broke. It now flips but doesnt flop.

I then went to a bar in the evening with Kegan (Canadian), Luke (Canadian), Tim (Australian) and Jeff (Canadian). So there we were on our Commonwealth games of a few beers and in walked a group of black people. Nothing really odd there I hear you say. Apart from the fact it is odd in Lima as racism against black people would noormally mean that in a posh lounge like this, black people would not be let in. But anywho there was something else different about this group of men. I felt I knew a few of them but couldnt put my finger on it, and most importantly my brain was telling me why 'would I know a group of random people in the middle of Lima?'

then I had a brainwave. 'That one bloke looks just like Ruud Gullit' I exclaimed. Blank faces met my revelation. 'who's Ruud Gullit' was the reply from my ignorant commonwealthian friends. Does the queen not teach these people anything? Also, why are Canada even let into the commonwealth games when they think that real hockey is played on ice? Anywho, I decided that because I couldnt get anyone to confirm my star spot and because there was no reason that a famous sports star would be in a random bar in Lima, I did not go over to him.

Then in the paper the next day is the picture above. Tickets for Holland masters against Peru masters. It was ruud!!!!, the other bloke was Pierre Van Hoijdonk!!!! (scorer of 2 goals from 30+ yards against Blues in approx 1998), there were others too. And I had missed out on photos, drinks and chats about thrashing them in Euro 96! all because of people that would rather watch ice hockey and Aussie rules. What is the world coming to.

Adios

No comments:

Post a Comment

please let me know what you think of the post.

Thanks