Wednesday 17 February 2010

Beyonce in Lima



Did I go to Beyonce because of the novelty of seeing a major star in a new city over the other side of the world? did I go because I actually wanted to? or did I just go because I knew Lil would be jealous?

To be honest I am not sure which was true but it was very different in reality to how I thought it would be. The venue is not too far from Mira Flores but with typical Peruvian traffic it takes an age to get there.

Only when you get close to the venue does it strike you just how divided this city is. The security guards line the streets as if it was a 1980s football match and when you get out of the taxi the white people get swarmed upon by beggars and random street cellars. 6 soles for a beer, a few soles for a pack of fags (The Canadian teachers also did not know what fags meant, so when I was calling the cigarette seller, the 'fag man' I think they thought I was being rude to him).

Then you have to see which entrance is yours. There is a common entrance (£15), a 2nd common entrance (£25), then a VIP gate and then a SUPER VIP gate. I went to secondary common but the elitism at every level is evident. I am not sure whether Biance knew that she was only close to the super rich in Lima or whether she didn't care as the money continued to roll in.

The conert itself was a bit of a let down. I expected 60,000 people all crammed together with no regard for health and safety (sort of like a British festival). However, it was ordered, non chaotic, with room all around you, and generally quite pleasant.

The crowd seemed just as excited that the world cup was on the stage as they were to see Beyonce.

Then the show itself started and it was good for about 5 minutes. However, she insisted on performing songs that are quite frankly boring! As my mom sais (they are songs that even Lil would skip on an album). Apart from Crazy in Love and that Single Ladies song, the rest was decidedly mediocre. I expected more and when I had got myself out of bed after being violently ill for 24hours, it had to be better than this to be fully worth it.

I am sure that Lil would have loved it. If I were a boy was done adequately, Ave Maria was belted out and there was a 5 minute Destiny's Child megamix (all this proved to do was show how much better their songs are than hers). The Alanis Morisette cover was strange but at least there was a song I knew all the words for.

Sorry about the shoddy video quality (its a bit from Crazy in Love)

Guns N Roses are here next month and then Bon Jovi in the summer. Plus at £25 pounds compared to stadium venues in the UK, this place is cheap as Patatas Fritas.

Adios

1 comment:

  1. got the links to work but it makes the page look less good.

    ReplyDelete

please let me know what you think of the post.

Thanks