Thursday 29 April 2010

JonnyPitt456 has a big one again



I have finally got a 32 incher again and I got it from the supermarket. Clare gave me the go-ahead and we now have a flat screen HDTV to plug the XBOX into and receive the full highdef glory of the Microsoft game machine! I have been standard def for too long now, my blu-rays have been sat gathering dust and my Gears of War were getting somewhat rusty from lack of use. Watching copied DVDs from the street corner sellers may mean I get to see Clash of the Titans without going to the cinema but peliculars that are fuzzy, unclear and with decidedly dodgy sound are a long way away from the clear picture quality of 1080p of pixellated televisual goodness.
The deal of the week at Plaza Vea (the supermarket 4 minutes walk from the house) was a 32 inch Samsung TV for 1,400 soles. That sounds a lot but it is actually about £300. I could not resist and as the old TV in the house was not compatible with the XBOX or the Blu-ray player and had no remote. I had also been stuck watching films on my laptop which overheats so you end up with burn marks on your lap if you watch any film over 90 minutes long - watching the final Lord of the Rings may actually lead to a visit to A&E. Although visits to A&E are free and covered by your health insurance (if you phone within 24 hours). I am not sure what happens if you fall down the stairs and are not found for over 24hours?!?
So, I ordered the TV in Spanish, paid only speaking Spanish and then tried to leave the store carying the TV. "pare, senor". I had yelled at me.
Stop, why? The man then explained in a mix of Spanish and then charades when he realised I could not understand everything he was saying.
I will summise: His actions looked like I would be attacked if I walked down the street (is it an action? one word? one syllable? sounds like hunch?) with a new TV under my arm "es peligroso, cuidado" (I will apologise for my spelling now before Michael picks up on it). So instead, he called me a taxi and I enjoyed the shortest taxi drive of my life. 2 minutes and 5 soles later, I was back at home and the driver was carrying the TV up to the house.

I am now sat watching TV, the same dreadful American comedies that are on all the time but now I can play XBOX, I can watch films and I have an SAP button (a magic button that menas I can listen to football and baseball in English!!!!!).

But my Spanish is improving. I am using a quality website called Busuu.com - you complete online activities and can also chat to people online in the language you are trying to learn. Spanish people then correct your english and you then correct their Spanish - esta muy bueno.

Anywho, los Simpsons is just about to start so I have to go.

Adios

No comments:

Post a Comment

please let me know what you think of the post.

Thanks